“Hopper Race” is a documentary on recent return of the “Green Revolution” pests, the rice planthoppers to threaten the sustainability of rice production in Asia. Produced by Ms Juka Kawaii of TVE Japan in collaboration with ADB and IRRI it provides some insights into why the planthopper threats have returned, how the thousands of farmers have suffered from the outbreaks and discusses research efforts to restore biodiversity, health and resilience in rice ecosystems using ecological engineering. A synopsis of the documentary comprising of 10 chapters is available here and the trailer is in YouTube. The first 5 chapters were launched in November 2012 at the International Rice Planthopper Conference organized by IRRI, Zhejiang University and Zhejiang Academy of Agricultural Sciences.
Early in 2013, TVE Japan and the ADB-IRRI Rice Planthopper Project sponsored a workshop to adapt the film for broadcast in 8 countries. Vietnam TV has just completed translating the film and will broadcast the series in 3 programs from April 30, 2013 to 3 May 2013. Details may be available from the VTV website.
TVT2 broadcast program
* FIRST BROADCAST:
– Program 1 (chapters 1,2,3,4): 21.05pm Tuesday April 30, 2013
– Program 2 (chapters 5,6,7): 21.05pm Wednesday May 1, 2013
– Program 3 (chapters 8,9,10): 21.05pm Thursday May 2, 2013
* REBROADCAST (07.30am the next day):
– Program 1 (chapters 1,2,3,4): 07.30am Wednesday May 1, 2013
– Program 2 (chapters 5,6,7): 07.30am Thursday May 2, 2013
– Program 3 (chapters 8,9,10): 07.30am Friday May 3, 2013