Let’s agree on one thing; not everyone can achieve consistent results while cooking rice on a stovetop. I tried everything, including getting tips from my mom when I moved out and even investing in cookbooks.
For some reason, my rice still had inconsistent texture, and let’s not even talk about the horrors of cleaning burnt-on remnants. In the attempts to make my life easier, I have tried out various rice cooker models over the past 15 years. I’m therefore a rice cooker expert of some sort.
In this post, I’ll share my knowledge and facts gathered from my research to help you find the best Asian rice cooker for your home. I’ll also take you through the most critical aspects to consider before purchase.
10 Best Asian Rice Cooker Reviews
There is just something about the quality and engineering of Asian rice cookers. I guess it’s because rice is a staple in Asia, and that is why their units are designed for ease of use, unmatched durability, and consistent performance. Here are 10 top appliances that are worth a look:
1. Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer
I’ll start our review with a model that I believe is worth it. This is a rice cooker I have in my kitchen, so I’ll also share its perks from a front-row perspective.
The Zojirushi appliance is made in Japan and is big enough to hold 10 cups of cooked rice. This is what you need if you have a small family and like to have some leftovers you can reheat at your convenience.
I cook rice often, so the fact that this rice maker can also cook porridge and sushi makes it quite handy. Additionally, it has an impressive steam function that allows you to steam vegetables or fish.
This is an easy to use appliance, and the many buttons at the front should not fool you. They bring in other convenient functions such as a delay timer and programmable beep to inform you when your food is cooked or effectively warmed.
With this rice cooker, you get a whole array of accessories, including a spatula holder, spatula, and two accurate measuring cups. I like the fact that the cord is retractable because this allows me to set the unit neatly on my countertop.
- Computerized rice cooker and warmer
- Capacity- 5.5 cups of uncooked rice
- Nonstick inner pan for easy cleaning
- Mountable unit with an appealing premium white color
- Multi-Menu selections with an automated keep-warm function
- The multi-use unit can cook rice, sushi, porridge, and steam vegetables
- Comes with a range of accessories like nonstick scooper, recipes and measuring cups
- This rice maker cooks slightly slower than other models
2. Tiger JNP-S10U-HU Rice Cooker and Warmer, Stainless Steel
Here is another cooker that will knock you off your socks. Well, it is a sophisticated device with a simple design. I was curious to know why it gained so many great reviews, yet it only has one button.
This model is superb for individuals who want to have a completely stress-free time cooking the perfect rice.
Plugin the unit, add your rice and water close the lid, dial in the settings, and forget! The rice cooker switches to the warm function automatically once your grain is cooked. As long as the top is secured correctly and you set the timer accurately, you will love the consistent texture of the rice you prepare.
This appliance is made in Japan, and its quality is unmatched. The inner pan is heavy, and this helps with the proper distribution of heat when cooking to ensure the consistent texture of your rice. Irrespective of your kitchen décor theme, this gray, stainless-steel beauty will add a modern pop to the room.
The only downside I noted is that this is an inductor rice maker and not a Fuzzy logic cooker. You may experience challenges when cooking certain types of rice. I tried cooking brown rice with the unit, and even though it came out just fine, I had to twitch the cooking time constantly.
- The unit automatically switches to keep warm settings for about 12 hours
- Visually appealing stainless-steel finish with a modern flair
- Non-Stick, easy to clean inner pan
- The inner pan is heavy, allowing proper heat distribution
- Durable appliance, made in Japan
- Retractable power cord
- Easy to remove and clean the steam vent
- Comes with a measuring cup and spatula
- This cooker can make a mess if the lid is not locked properly
3. Zojirushi Induction Heating Pressure Rice Cooker & Warmer
It’s the modern era, and having aesthetically appealing appliances is equally as crucial as having functional units. That said, this is another beauty from Zojirushi. It’s metallic brown, stainless-steel finish is impressive, although there are other reasons why this model had to have a slot on our review list.
This state of the art inductor rice maker can prepare all types of rice. It comes with a soak, steam, and scorch functions, allowing you to use more precise temperatures to make your unique recipes.
Newer rice cooker models from Zojirushi use Fuzzy technology and can automatically adjust temperature settings. Even so, this model does a superb job of cooking different foods to match your preferences.
Compared with other conventional rice cookers, it allows you to dial in more precise temperatures for the perfect brown, sushi, or mixed rice.
Let’s talk about the nonstick, inner cooking pan. Well, it has platinum particles that alkalize water to break down the outer protein layer of rice. This allows water to penetrate the rice grains easily to bring out their authentic flavor and make your meals tastier than ever.
- Premium quality rice cooker, made in Japan
- 5 uncooked rice capacity
- Comes with a range of convenient settings and functions
- The multi-menu cooking function allows you to cook all types of rice and porridge
- The LCD control panel makes it easier to read delay time and clock
- Nonstick, inner cooking pan for easy cleaning
- IH pressure system keeps rice softer for longer
- This premium rice maker is rather expensive
4. Hamilton Beach Rice Cooker, 7 Cups uncooked
For the price, I must say that this unit is outstanding. It cooks perfectly moist, fluffy rice that has a consistent texture. If you are on the budget and need a small rice maker that will not let you down, this is a model I highly recommend.
It makes rice preparation so simple and also has a keep-warm function so that your rice remains warm and nice until you are ready to serve it.
This rice maker has a delay-start feature, warming function, and a heat/simmer mode. You can, therefore, cook your rice to perfection and even steam pasta, beans, and a range of whole grains.
The features and functions of the unit make it comparable to other more expensive rice maker models from renowned brands like Zojirushi and Tiger.
It is convenient to have a multipurpose appliance, especially if you only cook rice from time to time. With this cooker, you can also prepare meat, seafood, cereals, and whole grains in an instant. The steam basket allows you to steam veggies or fish as you cook your rice.
To make it possible to perfectly steam foods and cook whole grains, white rice, and hot cereal using the same unit, this model comes with four pre-programmed settings. It also has an easy to read countdown timer and a keep-warm function to keep your meals warm for hours after a cook cycle.
- Appliance doubles as a rice and cereal cooker
- 14 cups cooked rice capacity
- Six varying preprogrammed settings to eliminate guesswork when preparing various foods
- Has a delay start feature to make meal planning more convenient
- Cooks moist, fluffy rice that has a consistent texture
- Pocket-Friendly rice cooker
- The lid design is not the easiest to clean
5. Zojirushi NS-WAC10-WD Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer
Zojirushi is a brand that continually seeks to impress its loyal customers with cutting edge kitchen appliances. The NS-WAC10-WD Rice Cooker is one of the newer models with Fuzzy logic technology.
This user-friendly unit has multiple menu cooking functions, allowing you to prepare impeccable white, mixed, and sushi rice.
The use of artificial intelligence makes cooking a breeze, even for those whose cooking skills are laughable. This unit cooks in an instant and automatically makes fine adjustments to cooking time and temperature. If you are not much of a chef, this is a must-have appliance.
Even though the technology fused in the making of this rice cooker is top tier, the LCD control panel is designed for ease of use. Other impressive features worth noting include the retractable power cord for easy storage, and both keep warm and delay time settings.
This unit gives you the best value for your money because it has a sturdy dent-resistant plastic body. Then again, it comes with a measuring cup, spatula holder, and rice spatula.
- Rice cooker with Fuzzy logic technology
- Has delay time and keep warm settings for your convenience
- Retractable power cord for easy storage
- Offers a wide range of useful features
- Measuring cups, spatula, and spatula holder included
- The multi-menu function allows you to cook all kinds of rice
- Easy to read and operate LCD control panel
- Rice cooker with 5 ½ cups capacity
- Durable, dent-resistant plastic body
- Takes much longer to cook brown rice when compared to other models
6. Cuckoo CR-0631F Rice Cooker, 6 Cups Uncooked (3 Liters)
If your family is big and you need an affordable Fuzzy logic cooker, this is one of the best models you could choose. It can hold 6 cups of uncooked rice, making it ideal for use when preparing meals for dinner parties and holidays.
What makes this appliance even better is that it is designed for cooking GABA rice to perfection.
With the current healthy and clean eating trends, everyone is now seeking to reap the health benefits of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) rice. This unique rice grain is known to enhance brain functions and lower blood pressure.
The Cuckoo rice maker is a darling to rice lovers in South Korea and Asia in general. It has a GABA function, among other cooking settings such as turbo cook, time, and keep-warm functions.
With this appliance, you can easily prepare 12 cups of perfectly fluffy rice without consuming much power. Once your food is ready, the unit switches to keep warm settings. It keeps the rice moist and warm for at least 24 hours without turning it mushy or yellow.
Another impressive feature is that the nonstick inner pot is easy to remove and clean. The only major downside is that you have to hand wash this pan because it is not dishwasher safe.
- Fuzzy logic rice cooker (intelligent cooking) makes rice preparation stress-free
- Has a GABA function among other cooking settings
- 12 Cups cooked rice capacity
- Nonstick inner pot
- This unit consumes lesser power
- Keeps rice warm and moist for longer without turning it yellow
- Not dishwasher safe
7. Tiger JAX-T18U-K 10-Cup (Uncooked) Micom Rice Cooker
One of the first things you will notice about this rice maker is that it has a visually appealing shiny, black stainless-steel finish. This is not the single feature that makes it ideal for the modern home. In addition to its curb appeal, it is also a Fuzzy logic appliance.
This implies that you do not have to continually monitor the time and temperature settings to ensure your rice cooks to perfection.
Moreover, this is a multi-function cooker, and it can do more than cook rice. It has a slow cook function, allowing you to prepare your risottos, porridge, stews, and soups. The steamer function would come in handy when steaming your vegetables or seafood.
The synchronized cooking function (Tacook) is what gives this unit an edge above other models. It ensures that various functions and features work in harmony to get all your meals ready at the same time. This will undoubtedly save you time and make your life easier.
Tiger is a respected brand known for producing some of the best rice cookers in today’s markets. The aesthetics, functions, and features of this model, however, make it clear that the brand had done some serious heavy lifting to impress its users.
- Multi-Function unit also serves as a rice cooker, slow cooker, Tacook, and food steamer
- Offers ten unique computerized menu settings
- 10 cups uncooked rice capacity
- Thick inner pan (1.8mm) for better heat distribution
- Aesthetically appealing black, stainless-steel finish
- Steam cap and inner lid are easy to remove and clean
- Cookbook, measuring cup, spatula, and Tacook plate included
- Non-retractable power cord
8. Lotus Foods Gourmet Rice Cooker – Stainless Steel
I’m from a long line of rice lovers. For a prime reason, I will be explaining shortly, the Lotus foods gourmet rice cooker stood as the ideal unit to gift a loved one. What gave me the confidence to select this model even with a few nay-sayers online is that it is made and sold by Lotus Foods Gourmet.
This brand has, without debate, gone out of its way to ensure the consistent quality of its appliances. We all know of brands that outsource their manufacturing processes to China for mass production, and users end up with mediocre rice makers. The deal here is that you get precisely what is advertised.
Furthermore, this appliance allows you to cook restaurant-quality rice without breaking a sweat. I have a thing for stainless-steel rice cookers because they do a great job of preserving the flavors and nutritional value of food.
Stainless-steel is also easy to clean and looks beautiful on the counters of modern kitchens.
This easy to use rice maker has a 12 cup capacity, just what you need when preparing meals for friends and loved ones. Moreover, the unit has a steamer tray that allows you to steam vegetables as you cook your rice.
For your information, it’s been three years since I bought this appliance for my sister, and she has nothing but praise for it!
- 100% stainless-steel steaming tray and cooking pot
- 12 cup cooked rice capacity
- Easy to use and clean
- Glass lid and rice paddle included
- Functional yet affordable rice cooker/steamer
- This unit has an overall sturdy construction
- Inner stainless-steel pot is not nonstick; fortunately, it’s still easy to clean
9. Tatung TFC-5817 Micom Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker
The TFC-5817 model from Tatung is one of the most popular in the current markets. It comes at a reasonable price, yet it has a batch of impressive features to make the rice cooking simple.
First, it uses Fuzzy logic technology, and this means you do not have to stress about getting the time and temperature settings wrong.
For the price, you get a sturdy rice maker with an 8 cup capacity. It has eight unique, programmed cooking functions, an automated keep-warm function, programmable preset timer, and more.
This is a perfect appliance to use when cooking different types of rice and preparing oatmeal, soups, stews, and porridge.
For the appliance to make cooking even easier, you get three quick-cooking programs at your disposal. They include Congee Rice Cooking, White Rice Cooking, and Quick Rice Cooking.
This leaves little chance for guesswork and increases your chances of always amazing your loved ones with impeccable rice servings.
Also, this unit also doubles as a slow cooker. You do not have to go through the hassle of simmering your red meats and poultry on a stovetop.
- Serves as a rice cooker, slow cooker, and steamer
- Easy to use Fuzzy logic rice cooker
- 8 Cups uncooked rice capacity
- Eight unique preset cooking programs
- Ideal for preparing brown rice, oatmeal, stews, soups, and vegetables
- Three quick-cooking programs; White Rice Cooking, Congee Rice Cooking & Quick Rice Cooking
- The unit keeps rice warm and moist for about 24hours; although it turns it light yellow
10. Cuchen Premium IH Pressure Rice Cooker 6-Cup
As we wrap up our best Asian rice cooker review, let’s check out the Cuchen Premium rice cooker. Even though this is an expensive appliance, its features, functions, and pros make it worth the price. From my research, I gathered that this is one of the best-selling models in Japan.
This unit uses IH pressure technology, allowing it to cook relatively faster than other models. It can cook perfectly moist and fluffy white rice in as little as 14 minutes and your mixed rice within 29 minutes. If you need a smart appliance that cooks in an instant, this is the best model to purchase.
Also, this Korean made rice maker comes with a keep-warm function. The unit can keep the rice warm while ensuring that it retains most of its flavors and nutrients. Even after an entire day, your rice will still be warm, moist, and fresh as though you just cooked it.
The idea of having an appliance with voice control sounds enticing to most people. If you can speak fluent Korean, then using this feature will not be a problem. Otherwise, you may have to hang on to solely using the display buttons, which are labeled in both Korean and English.
- Premium IH pressure rice maker
- Cooks impressively fast
- Non-Retractable power cord
- Has a keep-warm function
- Inner pan has durable diamond queen coating
- This cooker has both display buttons and a voice navigation feature
- You need to speak Korean to use the voice control feature
Things to Consider When Buying an Asian Rice Cooker
From my very qualified perspective, I can tell you that rice cookers are not created equal. Finding the right unit will save you from having to buy one with each passing year. Here are prime factors to put into consideration before choosing the appliance to buy:
Types of Rice Cooker
All rice cookers, irrespective of the part of the world they come from, are classified into three groups, which include an inductor, Fuzzy logic, and on-off rice cookers.
- Inductor Rice Cookers
These are cookers that apply heat directly to the contents of a pot, through an electric plate. Such appliances have more accurate temperature sensors, and they distribute heat through a larger area to cook the rice evenly. Moreover, they allow you to change the temperature instantly.
- Fuzzy Logic Rice Cookers
These types of rice makers have an internal computer chip that automatically adjusts the temperature and cooking time. I mean, the unit does the heavy lifting for you to ensure perfectly cooked rice.
- On/Off Rice Cookers
These are the most basic rice cookers with a keep-warm function. Once your rice is ready, the cooker automatically switches to keep warm mode.
The specific needs of your household will help you determine the right rice maker size to choose from. Consider how many people you often need to feed and also whether you serve rice as the main course or a side dish.
Each plate needs ½ a cup of rice if you are serving it as a side dish. At least ¾ a cup of rice should be served on each plate if it is the main course. As you do your math, remember that most rice types double in quantity when cooked.
Ease of Cleaning
I think of rice cookers as convenient appliances that should save me time. If you share my belief, then finding a model designed for easy cleaning is essential. It is better to choose a rice cooker with a nonstick pot, perhaps one that is also dishwasher safe.
Finding the best Asian rice cooker is a tricky affair, mainly because different models come with varying features. To get it right, consider an appliance whose features work in your best interests.
For me, I’ll always prioritize something with a removable bowl for easier cleaning and quick cook functions so that I dial in the time and temperature settings and forget!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. My cooker is messy and spilling water everywhere. Is it damaged?
It is highly unlikely that your rice cooker is damaged. There are a few tips that can help prevent water from boiling over. First, ensure the accuracy of your water to rice measurements. It is also best to rinse your rice thoroughly to remove excess starch and bran.
2. What should I add first, the water or the rice?
The right way to go about this is first to add the rice to the inner pot. Based on the measurements you read, you can now decide on the amount of water to add. When you add rice into water, you risk making inaccurate measurements and ending up with soggy or overly dry rice.
3. How do I prevent the rice from sticking on the walls and bottom of the inner pot?
Rinsing your rice to remove excess starch and bran should help to address this concern. Also, consider smearing oil on the inner pot before pouring your rice.
So which Asian rice cooker will you choose? You know about the best models, their features, pros, and cons. We tested a broad array of models to select the top 10 rice makers that also happen to have excellent customer reviews. I hope that this guide will make it easier for you to choose a handy appliance.